Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport in Campbell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Southgate Street School

 
 
Southgate Street School Marker, side one image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 1, 2019
1. Southgate Street School Marker, side one
Inscription.  In 1870, the Newport City Council purchased property for a school for African Americans, and three years later a frame house was constructed. Elizabeth Hudson was appointed first African American teacher at salary of $35 per month. Two major events of 1893 were school’s first commencement and second floor addition. High school closed, 1921.

In 1955, a desegregation program was submitted to the school board and the school was dissolved. All African American students through eleventh grade could then attend Newport schools. Twelfth-grade students continued at William Grant, and teachers went on to positions in other Newport schools.
 
Erected 2001 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. Presented by Newport Lodge No. 120. O.E.S. Newport Chapter No. 105, and the Kentucky African American Heritage Commission. (Marker Number 2071.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 39° 5.683′ N, 84° 29.609′ W. Marker
Southgate Street School Marker, side two image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 1, 2019
2. Southgate Street School Marker, side two
is in Newport, Kentucky, in Campbell County. Marker is on East Southgate Street east of Saratoga Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 E Southgate St, Newport KY 41071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General James Taylor Home (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Tommygun” Inventor (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Black Brigade of Cincinnati (approx. half a mile away in Ohio); Cincinnati's German Heritage (approx. half a mile away in Ohio); The Sultana (approx. half a mile away in Ohio); The Irish in Cincinnati (approx. half a mile away in Ohio); 1749 French Claims to Ohio River Valley (approx. half a mile away in Ohio); Bicentennial Commons at Sawyer Point (approx. half a mile away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
Also see . . .  . “After the school's closure, the building was bought by local gangster Frank ‘Screw’ Andrews. The building was used as a warehouse. The school building is presently owned by a Black Masonic Lodge (Prince Hall Masonic Lodge 120). In 1985, The Southgate Street School was listed as a contributing property to the Mansion Hill Historic District. As of 2017 the first floor is used by the City of Newport and the Newport Foundation as the Newport History Museum. Museum displays remind visitors of school life
Southgate Street School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 1, 2019
3. Southgate Street School Marker
in the early twentieth century. Other exhibits document Newport’s history including displays about its gambling history.” (Submitted on June 9, 2019.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
Southgate Street School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 1, 2019
4. Southgate Street School and Marker
Newport History Museum @ the Southgate Street School, Nov. 2017 image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 1, 2019
5. Newport History Museum @ the Southgate Street School, Nov. 2017
 

More. Search the internet for Southgate Street School.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 9, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement