Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Church in the Northwest Territory
The Baptists of Columbia Township, in 1889 erect this pillar to commemorate the heroism and piety the first Baptist pioneers of 1788- 90 the first church in the Northwest territory was the Columbia Baptist Church organized Jan. 20, 1790 constituent members
Benjamin Davis Jonah Reynolds Mary Davis Amy Reynolds John Ferris John S. Gano Elizabeth Ferris Thomas C. Wade Isaac Ferris, Deacon
The Columbia Baptist Church erected its first house of worship on this spot in 1792 the lot contains two acres of ground purchased of Benjamin Stites and deeded to the Baptists of Columbia Township because the Lord our God chose this spot to put His Name here therefore we erect this monument to be held sacred forever Columbia Monument Association
to the first boat load
Benjamin Stites John S. Gano Benjamin Stites Mary S. Gano Benjamin Stites Jr Thomas C. Wade Rachel Stites Hezekiah Stites Ann W.Stites Elijah Stites Greenbright Bailey Edmond Buxton Greenbright Bailey Daniel Shoemaker
Erected 1889 by Baptists of Columbia Township.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 6.383′ N, 84° 25.749′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from Wilmer Avenue. marker is in Pioneer Cemetery, formerly known as Columbia Baptist Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Wilmer Avenue, Cincinnati OH 45226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Columbia Baptist Church and Meeting House (here, next to this marker); Columbia Baptist Cemetery / Columbia (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia Presbyterian & Fulton Cemeteries / William Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pigmeat Jarrett (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hon. Henry Stanbery (approx. 1.2 miles away in Kentucky); Garard / Martin Station, 1790 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cherry Tree Grove (approx. 1.9 miles away); Highland United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 12, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.