Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Warehouse District

 
 
Warehouse District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 11, 2019
1. Warehouse District Marker
Inscription.  Constructed parallel to the installation rail line, the warehouse district represents the supplies and services hub of the installation. Until the improvement of roads between Washington D.C. and the Belvoir Peninsula, the railroad served as the main source of transportation into the installation, making the warehouse district the chief access point for all goods, equipment, and soldiers needed for the early development and training activities at Camp A.A. Humphreys. The surrounding warehouses were used not only as general storage and supply depots but also as maintenance and repair shops. Buildings in this district were constructed as needed, with the majority of structures being temporary or semi-permanent structures built during and between World Wars I and II. At the height of its operations in 1943, the warehouse district contained 45 warehouse buildings. The remaining warehouses in the district today still provide storage space and maintenance services to Fort Belvoir.
 
Erected 2018 by Fort Belvoir and the Federal Highway Administration.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Warehouse District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 11, 2019
2. Warehouse District Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
MilitaryRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1943.
 
Location. 38° 41.541′ N, 77° 8.564′ W. Marker is in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Belvoir VA 22060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Water Storage Tank 188 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Non Commissioned Officers’ Service Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Treasury Building Column Sections (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pohick Road Crossing (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Belvoir Military Railroad Historic Corridor (approx. 0.4 miles away); ‘Thermo-Con’ House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Staff Sergeant John D. Linde Visitor Center (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brown Barracks (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Belvoir.
 
Part of the Warehouse District image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., June 11, 2019
3. Part of the Warehouse District
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2019, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2019, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=135224

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 17, 2022