Marietta in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1812, two towns, New Haven and Waterford, were incorporated to form Marietta Borough. It is located at a scenic 90° bend in the Susquehanna River and was formerly known as Anderson's Ferry. French traders had arrived in this area in the late 1600s, followed by Scots—Irish settlers in 1719. The main streets of the two towns that were merged did not meet, resulting in the S—Bend at the center of Marietta.
Commerce developed with the completion of the Pennsylvania Canal (1833) and the railroad between Harrisburg and Columbia (1850). Local entrepreneurs developed thriving iron and lumber businesses. Immigrant workers and river men gave the town a reputation for rowdiness that was in contrast to its academic and religious aspects. Fine Federal and Victorian residences were built as well as homes for artisans and laborers. Annexation of areas east and west of the town increased the borough's boundary in the 1970s.
Marietta citizens have served in the Armed Forces in every conflict since the War of 1812. Depressions periodically devastated local commercial and industrial enterprises. Recurrent floods and ice jams sometimes wreaked
Erected by Rivertownes PA USA.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 3.468′ N, 76° 33.163′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of North Waterford Avenue and North New Haven Street, on the right when traveling south on North Waterford Avenue. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, in front of the old Marietta Town Hall, near the southeast entrance to the building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta PA 17547, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Women in Marietta (here, next to this marker); The Old Town Hall (a few steps from this marker); Those Who Served From Marietta in World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Meeting HouseWar Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Furnace Chapel (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Buried Story (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Also see . . . Marietta Natural and Historical Resources. Borough website entry:
Marietta contains an architectural gallery of historic homes including Victorian, Colonial American, Gothic Cottages, and Log cabins. Four of these historic buildings have been restored; the old Town Hall: that houses a museum, the old Bank: that houses a business, the Union Meeting House and the Community House that both host weddings and other events. (Submitted on June 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 13, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.