Mechanicsville in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Village of Mechanicsville
Three Notch Trail
In the early days of the Village, homes and businesses were conveniently located on both sides of the roadway now known as Old Village Road. Today, most historians believe the name "Mechanicsville" was derived from the central location of blacksmiths and other area craftsmen. The Village has evolved in modern times, but still retains its rural flavor and small town feel.
Rail History 1918
Local farmers banded together and purchased the railroad, then known as the Washington, Potomac & Chesapeake Railroad Company, in 1918 as it was being sold for scrap. The new line was incorporated as the Washington, Brandywine and Point Lookout Railroad and local citizens served as the Board of Directors. Farm goods moved along the railway and passenger service continued until about 1928. By then roads had improved and automobiles were becoming more popular.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 38° 26.413′ N, 76° 44.594′ W. Marker is in Mechanicsville, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Mechanicsville Road 0.1 miles west of Old Village Road (Old Maryland Route 5), on the left when traveling south. Located on the Three Notch trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mechanicsville MD 20659, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Extending the Rail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Forest Hall (approx. 1.8 miles away); Tobacco Barns (approx. 2˝ miles away); Amish Community (approx. 3 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 3.1 miles away); Maryland Begins Here (approx. 3.2 miles away); Charlotte Hall School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ye Coole Springs (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.