Mechanicsville in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Extending the Rail
Three Notch Trail
Maintenance of the rail bed and rails became problematic and the Navy’s final run was made on June 30, 1954. Over 200 people were in attendance to witness this event. The railroad was declared excess government property in 1966 and St. Mary’s County purchased the railroad right-of-way in 1970.
Rail History 1942
The Navy ran the train under the jurisdiction of the Public Works Department. The main load was gasoline, coal, ammunition, and plane parts. Thirty-two civilians, including long-time general manager William Chesley, were employed by the Navy. A guard, posted at the base perimeter, allowed the train to pass onto the Naval Air Station.
Erected by Three Notch Trail
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
Location. 38° 25.943′ N, 76° 43.841′ W. Marker is in Mechanicsville, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Reeves Road 0.2 miles south of Old Village Road (Old Maryland Route 5), on the right when traveling south. Located on the Three Notch Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mechanicsville MD 20659, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Village of Mechanicsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Forest Hall (approx. one mile away); Tobacco Barns (approx. 1.7 miles away); Three Notch Road (approx. 2.3 miles away); De La Brooke Manor (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named "Three Notch Road" (approx. 3.3 miles away); Three Notch Trail (approx. 3.7 miles away); Amish Community (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mechanicsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 16, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.