Saint Helena Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Home at the Lighthouse
After the lighthouse's 1933 decommissioning, the Civilian Conservation Corps used the house while starting work on Hunting Island State Park. A 1938 fire destroyed the building.
The house was built from pre-fabricated sections that were brought to the island by ship. Originally assembled a mile north of here in 1875, the large wooden house was moved to this site in 1890, following the relocation of the lighthouse.
Arranged as a three-family dwelling the two-story structure housed all light station staff and their families in twelve rooms.
Erected by Hunting Island State Park.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list.
Location. 32° 22.519′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2555 Sea Island Parkway, Saint Helena Island SC 29920, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harvesting Drinking Water (a few steps from this marker); Island Delivery Service (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuel for the Flame (within shouting distance of this marker); A Guiding Light (within shouting distance of this marker); Hunting Island Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); A Life-Saving Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapel of Ease (approx. 8.1 miles away); Penn School (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Helena Island.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Hunting Island Lighthouse
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 17, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.