Beaufort in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
City Meat Market & Firehouse
Sister to 702 Craven Street, both were municipal buildings until the 1990’s and adhere to the 18th century city plan to locate public activities on this block and the one block immediately to the east.
Erected by Historic Beaufort Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 32° 25.952′ N, 80° 40.243′ W. Marker is in Beaufort, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Craven Street east of Scott Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the northwest corner of the subject building, facing Scott Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 Craven Street, Beaufort SC 29902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beaufort Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth Israel Synagogue (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Henry Woodward, Surgeon 1646-1686 (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaufort Female Benevolent Society Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Smalls (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tabernacle Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); The Sam Levin Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaufort.
Regarding City Meat Market & Firehouse. This building is currently home to the Reconstruction Era National Monument (U.S. National Park Service).
Also see . . . Beaufort Municipal Meat Market / Beaufort City Fire Department. South Carolina Historical Properties record website entry:
According to "The Historical Significance of the Old Fire Station and its Surroundings," by Gerhard Spieler: "It was erected through the efforts of W. F. Sanders, brother of Gus Sanders, W. F. Sanders being Intendant (mayor) of Beaufort, in 1911."
Single story brick structure with pedimented lateral gable roof. North facade incorporates central arched opening, the brick arch carried on stone impost blocks and flanked by 6/6 windows right and left. Pediment above has circular window. West facade was substantially altered when converted to accommodate firehouse. Subsequently (late (Submitted on June 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.