Pierson in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Midway Methodist Church
Barberville Pioneer Settlement
Named Midway because Barberville was half way between Jacksonville and Tampa on the Methodist Minister’s circuit. The church was built in 1890. It served the community until 1964 and was donated to the Pioneer Settlement by the DeLand District of the United Methodist Church.
Central air and heat was donated by Dale Barnhart in memory of his loving wife, Evelyn. Theirs was the first wedding performed in the church after its relocation. The church is available for weddings and other events
Erected by Barberville Pioneer Settlement.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 10.985′ N, 81° 25.422′ W. Marker is in Pierson, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker can be reached from Lightfoot Lane south of County Road 3, on the right when traveling south. Marker located within the Barberville Pioneer Settlement. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1776 Lightfoot Lane, Pierson FL 32180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Huntington Post Office (here, next to this marker); Settlement Firehouse (a few steps from this marker); Quarter's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tomoka Turpentine Still (within shouting distance of this marker); Convict Cage Wagon (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierson Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Swedish Pioneer Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewis Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierson.
Also see . . . Barberville Pioneer Settlement. Barberville Pioneer Settlement was founded in 1976 and is a private not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization registered with the State Florida. The centerpiece of the Barberville Pioneer Settlement is the original Barberville Central High School (c 1919), a National Register of Historic Places site. Many historical buildings and artifacts that may otherwise have been destroyed have been relocated to the “Settlement’s” grounds. The site is also the original home of Volusia County’s oldest two story brick residence, the Joseph Underhill House (c 1879). (Submitted on June 21, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.