Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1920 Baldwin Steam Locomotive
In 1967 a man by the name of Sloan Cornell purchased locomotive #76 for the service on his Penn View Mountain scenic railroad in Pennsylvania. Here it was put to the test by climbing a steep 4% grade, while negotiating "switch backs," to reach a scenic overlook. In 1976, Mr. Cornell closed his Penn View Mountain railway, and moved his entire operation to the Gettysburg area, where he operated the Gettysburg Scenic Railway. While running on the Gettysburg line, Engine #76 reportedly began a steady decline, due in part to corrosion caused by the hard water it ingested over a span of about 20 years. It is said that #76 was "out of square, patched up, and one very tired 1920 Baldwin"
In December, 2017 the Oakland B&O Museum received a generous donation from the Daniel E. Offurt III Charitable Trust, for the purpose of acquiring a steam locomotive for display in front of the 1884 Oakland Train Station. After an extensive search, the Oakland B&O Museum found and purchased Engine #76 from the Steam Railroading Institute. It was moved from Michigan to Oakland in July, 2018, and restored for display purposes by Diversified Rail Services, Inc. While this engine was never actually used on the B&O Railroad line, once it was moved to Oakland, a town rich in B&O history, a decision was made to adopt it as a B&O Engine. In researching the history of B&O steam engines, it was determined that Engine #76 most closely resembled the B&O class E-39 steam engines in certain respects, including wheel configuration, driver diameter, cylinder bore/stroke, gross tonnage, and operating boiler pressure. Also the B&O engines of that era were assigned numbers in the "400" series. So the number 476 was chosen for the adopted engine, employing the number 4 from its original identity, and the number
(Image of Engine #76.)
#76 in service on the Mississippian Railway.
(Logo for Oaktown, Maryland)
Erected by Oakland, Maryland.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Town of Oakland series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. 39° 24.613′ N, 79° 24.537′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is at the intersection of E Liberty Street and s 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on E Liberty Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 E Liberty Street, Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Benefactors (a few steps from this marker); 1955 B&O Railroad Caboose (a few steps from this marker); 1884 Oakland Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Oakland (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 1938 McCormick-Deering Farmall F14 & 1942 John Deere (within shouting distance of this marker); The Glades Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2019. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 22, 2019. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.