State College in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Chi
The Alpha Chi Chapter of Sigma Chi at Penn State University was founded on May 27, 1891, and is the third oldest fraternity at Penn State. The Chapter's first house was on South Allen Street (1891-1905).
In 1906, the construction of the Chapter's second house was completed on this site and was occupied 1906-1972. In 1972, the fraternity moved into its current house on the corner of South Garner Street and East Prospect Avenue.
Erected by Sigma Chi.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is May 27, 1891.
Location. 40° 47.676′ N, 77° 52.025′ W. Marker is in State College, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is on North Burrowes Street north of Pollock Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 340 North Burrowes Street, State College PA 16801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Atmospheric Research (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Water Tunnel (about 600 feet away); McKee Hall (about 700 feet Driver Education (about 700 feet away); PENNSTAC (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin Luther King Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Daily Collegian (approx. 0.2 miles away); Public Speaking (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in State College.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.