Grantsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Casselman River Bridge State Park
In 1806, the United States Congress commissioned David Shriver, Jr., a celebrated Cumberland civil engineer, to locate, plan, and construct the National Road, including the Casselman River Bridge. Shriver personally took charge of the bridge construction that began in 1813. The stone arch is 26 feet wide, 3 feet thick, and from end to end spans 80 feet, designed to accommodate C&O Canal boats should they someday cross the Alleghenies. When it opened to traffic in 1817, the Casselman River Bridge was the largest single span stone arch bridge in America.
Since its construction, many famous personalities have crossed over this bridge including Presidents James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison, James Polk, Zachary Taylor, and then-Congressman Abraham Lincoln. In 1953, following the completion of a new bridge and Route 40 nearby, officials
In 1957, the State Road Commission acquired several acres west of the bridge. With the assistance of the Department of Forests and Parks, the two agencies developed the park and picnic area you see here today. In 1964, the Secretary of the Interior and the National Park Service declared the bridge a National Historic Landmark. In 1972 and 1993, the State Highway Administration transferred portions of the site to the Department of Natural Resources. The bridge is now the focal point of the four-acre Casselman River Bridge State Park.
(Black & white image of Casselman River Bridge)
Photographed by Leo Beachy. Photograph courtesy of the Garrett County Historical Society.
Casselman River Bridge in the early 1900s.
(Black & white image of Harry C. Edwards)
Photograph courtesy of Harry C. Edwards family
(Black & white image of DeCorsey E. Bolden)
Photograph courtesy of the DeCorsey E. Bolden family)
Harry C. Edwards and DeCorsey E. Bolden, champions of the Casselman River Bridge. Their leadership in the Maryland House of Delegates helped to twice save the bridge from destruction. Delegate Edwards in the 1950s and Delegate Bolden in the 1970s.
(Logo for the Maryland Park Service.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 39° 41.767′ N, 79° 8.695′ W. Marker is in Grantsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on National Pike (Route Alt-40) 0.3 miles east of Patton Lane, on the left when traveling east. A duplicate of this marker is found on the opposite side of the Casselman River Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10240 National Pike, Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West (here, next to this marker); The Little Crossings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Casselman River Bridge (about 500 feet away); Glotfelty House (about 700 feet away); Winterburg House (about 700 feet away); Castleman’s River Bridge (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Casselman River Bridge State Park (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grantsville.
More about this marker. At the south end of the row of parking spaces before reaching the west end of Casselman River Bridge.
Also see . . .
1. Casselman Bridge State Park, Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties. (Submitted on June 23, 2019.)
2. Casselman River Bridge State Park, Maryland Department of Natural Resources. (Submitted on June 23, 2019.)
Categories. Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Casselman River Bridge State Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2019. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 23, 2019. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.