Near Grand Blanc in Genesee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Buick Open
The Buick Open
One year after Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club opened in 1957, Waldo McNaught used his unique position as club president and public relations director of the Buick Motor Division of the General Motors Corporation (GM) to organize a golf tournament here. The collaboration between Warwick Hills, Buick, and the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) Tour resulted in the first Buick Open, held in June 1958. The event coincided with GM’s “Golden Milestone” fiftieth anniversary. Company officials allowed the use of the Buick name, and provided each golfer with a new car to use during the tournament. This marked the first corporate sponsorship of a PGA Tour event. The success of the 1958 open created a partnership that continued into the twenty-first century.
The First Buick Open
For five days in June 1958, golfers from across the country came to Grand Blanc to play in the first Buick Open. The field included what Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) Tour supervisor Harvey Raynor called the greatest field in PGA Tour history. A fifty-two-thousand-dollar purse, the largest
Erected 2009 by Michigan Historical Commission, Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S715C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 54.061′ N, 83° 35.98′ W. Marker is near Grand Blanc, Michigan, in Genesee County. Marker can be reached from South Saginaw Road 0.9 miles north of E. Baldwin Road, on the right when traveling north. Look for the entrance to the Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club. Please be aware that this is a private country club. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: G-9057 South Saginaw Road, Grand Blanc MI 48439, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holly's Town Hall (approx. 7.7 miles Crapo Park (approx. 7.7 miles away); Battle Alley (approx. 7.7 miles away); This is the Site of the Holly Milling Co. (approx. 8 miles away); Ortonville Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); Fenton House (approx. 8.9 miles away); Genesee County Courthouse (approx. 8.9 miles away); Fenton United Methodist Church (approx. 9 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is located behind the Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club clubhouse. To see the marker, park in the lot to the right of the front entrance, adjacent to the Tennis courts and swimming pool. Take the sidewalk on the south side of the clubhouse next to the bocce courts to the rear of the clubhouse. The marker is located between the first tee and the practice putting green.
Also see . . . Blog entry about marker. (Submitted on July 25, 2020, by John Garman of Rochester Hills.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2019, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 24, 2019, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.