Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schweinfurt, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Das Zeughaus - Städtisches Waffenarsenal / The Armory - Municipal Arsenal

 
 
Das Zeughaus - Städtisches Waffenarsenal / The Armory - Municipal Arsenal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 12, 2019
1. Das Zeughaus - Städtisches Waffenarsenal / The Armory - Municipal Arsenal Marker
Inscription.  In ihrem Zeughaus verwahrte die freie Reichsstadt Schweinfurt ihr ,Rüstzeug” - die zur Verteidigung nötigen Waffen und Geräte: Kanonen, Mörser und Hakenbüchsen nebst Kugeln und Bomben, Schwerter, Armbrüste und Spieße, Sturmhauben und Harnische, aber auch Zelte und Hebezeug - zuletzt sogar die Feuerspritzen.

Dem zweiten Stadtverderben fiel im Jahr 1554 auch die Rossmühle auf dem Zeughausplatz zum Opfer. Erst 35 Jahre später entschloss sich die Stadt Schweinfurt zum Abbruch der ausgebrannten Ruine. An ihrer Stelle entstand in den Jahren 1589 bis 1591 das Zeughaus.

Das mächtige Renaissancegebäude mit seinen beiden Schweifgiebeln, dem achteckigen Treppenturm und dem schiefergedeckten Satteldach zeugte vom Wohlstand der Reichsstadt am Ende des 16. Jahrhunderts. Das Kaiserwappen am Turm signalisierte stolz die Reichsfreiheit. Im Inneren bildeten die drei Hauptgeschosse große und offene Hallen, in denen Waffen und Rüstzeug gelagert werden konnte. Schwere Kanonen standen im Erdgeschoss, weshalb auf einen Keller verzichtet wurde. Die Aufsicht vor Ort oblag einem Zeugwart, der als Waffenspezialist oft zugleich auch Büchsen-

Das Zeughaus / The Armory and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 12, 2019
2. Das Zeughaus / The Armory and Marker
und Armbrustmacher oder Feuerwerker war. An den Wochenenden lehrte er den Schweinfurter Bürgern das Schießen. Bis zum Jahr 1798 diente das Zeughaus seinem ursprünglichen Zweck, dann zwangen Schulden die Stadt zur Versteigerung ihres Arsenals.

Kurz darauf rückten bayerische Soldaten in Schweinfurt ein und nutzten das Zeughaus bis 1823 als Kaserne. Drei Jahre später erwarb der Schweinfurter Fabrikant Wilhelm Sattler das leerstehende Gebäude. Es diente ihm als Lager, später richtete er eine Dampffarbmühle ein. 1935 verkaufte die Wilhelm Sattler AG das untervermietete Zeughaus an den Zeitungsverleger Hans Helferich, der es in Stand setzen ließ und von 1940 an dort das "Schweinfurter Tagblatt” produzierte.

The Armoury - municipal weapons store
After the destruction of the medieval horse mill, between 1589 and 1590 the Free Imperial City of Schweinfurt built a magnificent armoury in the Renaissance style in its place. For around 250 years this was where the citizens kept all of the weapons and ammunition needed to defend their city in the event of an attack. In the 19th century the building served temporarily as a barrack, but was soon sold to an industrialist who installed a steam-powered mill in it to manufacture paint. Between 1940 and 2010 the historical armoury was home to Schweinfurt's local newspaper, then it was acquired by

Additional marker found on tower of arsenal image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 12, 2019
3. Additional marker found on tower of arsenal
Reading: "Armory. Built 1589-91. Located on the site of a horse-powered mill that burned down in 1554. Armory and warehouse. On the tower there is an imperial eagle holding the coat-of-arms of Emperor Rudolf II."
the municipal authorities. Today the restored monument accommodates a "House of the Family".
 
Erected by Stadt Schweinfurt.
 
Location. 50° 2.743′ N, 10° 13.795′ E. Marker is in Schweinfurt, Bavaria. Marker is at the intersection of Am Zeughaus and Bauerngasse, on the right when traveling west on Am Zeughaus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Am Zeughaus 2, Schweinfurt, Bavaria 97421, Germany. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Engelbert Fries and Wilhelm Höpflinger (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Martin Luther (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Professor Theodor Fischer (about 210 meters away); Ehemalige Rückert-Buchhandlung / The Former Rueckert Bookshop (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Schopperschen Haus / Schopper's House (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Städt. Sparkasse / Municipal Savings Bank (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Schweinfurter Schlachtschüssel / The Schweinfurt “Slaughter Pot” (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Raven Hotel / Hotel zum Raben (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schweinfurt.
 
Categories. Military
 

More. Search the internet for Das Zeughaus - Städtisches Waffenarsenal / The Armory - Municipal Arsenal.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement