Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Schwarzach am Main in Landkreis Kitzingen, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Schwarzach am Main

 
 
Schwarzach am Main Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 12, 2019
1. Schwarzach am Main Marker
Inscription.  Das Gebiet des Marktes Schwarzach a. Main gehörte im Früh- und Hoch- mittelalter zur Grafschaft Castell. Von den sechs Ortsteilen des Marktes hatten drei einen besonderen Kontakt zu den Grafen von Castell: Gerlachshausen, Münsterschwarzach und Stadtschwarzach.

Der Name Gerlachshausen weist auf eine fränkische Gründung des frühen 8. Jahrhunderts hin, die den Mattonen, den Vorfahren der späteren Grafen von Castell, zu Lehen wurde. Auf diese Anfangszeit geht der Vorläufer des heutigen Burgstalls, das Schlösschen, in der Schlossgasse zurück. Gerlachshausen wird zusammen mit Düllstadt zum ersten Mal in einer Urkunde vom 21. April 918 erwähnt. Danach übergibt Bischof Drachol (von Freising) aus dem Geschlecht der Mattonen seinen Besitz in Gerlachshausen und Düllstadt der Benediktinerabtei Münsterschwarzach. 1115 verkaufte Graf Heinrich von Castell die castellschen Güter des Dorfes Gerlachshausen und das Patronat über die Kirche und deren dazugehörige Filialen (u.a. von Hörblach, Düllstadt und Schwarzenau [Bausch PE [24a]) an das Kloster Münsterschwarzach.

Schon die Gründungsgeschichte des Frauenklosters Münsterschwarzaches bestand

Schwarzach am Main Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 12, 2019
2. Schwarzach am Main Marker - wide view
The historical marker is the second panel from the right.
von ca. 780 bis 877 und des Männerklosters Megingaudshausen (bei Markt Bibart/Mfr), dessen Mönche nach 877 das verwaiste Frauenkloster Münsterschwarzach besiedelten, weisen auf eine gemeinsame Verbindung zwischen Castell und Münsterschwarzach hin: Die Gründer der beiden Klöster sind die Mattonen, die Stammväter des Hauses Castell. Die Grafen gehörten zu den "hervorragendsten Mäzenen und Wohltätern des uralten Klosters in Schwarzach” (Bausch PE I VIla), ließen sich bisweilen in der Abteikirche bestatten und waren von 1148 (urkundl. Ersterwähnung) bis 1230 die Vögte des Klosters an der Schwarzach. Während der kriegerischen Auseinandersetzungen zwischen den Grafen von Castell und dem Bischof-Herzog von Wuerzburg in den Jahren 1230 und 1283 kam es allerdings zwischen dem Vogt und dem bischöflichen Kloster zu Zerwürfnissen. Abgesehen aber von diesen Beeinträchtigungen und einigen Jagdstreitigkeiten verliefen die zahlreichen rechtlichen und wirtschaftlichen Beziehungen in geordneten Bahnen.

-

(English translation:)

The area of the Market Schwarzach am Main belonged to the shire of Castell in the early and late Middle Ages. Of the six districts of the market, three had a particular relationship with the counts of Castell: Gerlachshausen, Münsterschwarzach and Stadtschwarzach.

The name "Gerlachshausen" points to a Franconian

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
foundation during the early 8th century, during which the Mattons, the ancestors of the later counts of Castell, held a fiefdom. The predecessor of today's castle stables, a small castle located in the Schlossgasse, dates back to this early period. Gerlachshausen is mentioned together with Düllstadt for the first time in a document dated April 21, 918. Thereafter, Bishop Drachol (von Freising) of the Matton family handed over his estate in Gerlachshausen and Düllstadt to the Benedictine Abbey of Münsterschwarzach. In 1115, Count Heinrich von Castell sold the Castell property rights of the village Gerlachshausen and the patronage of the church and its associated branches (amongst others, from Hörblach, Düllstadt and Schwarzenau [Bausch PE [24a]) to the Münsterschwarzach monastery.

Early history indicates that the Münsterschwarzach nunnery existed from about 780 to 877, and the men's monastery at Megingaudshausen (at Market Bibart in Middle Franconia), whose monks took over after the abandonment of the Münsterschwarzach convent in 877, indicate a common connection between Castell and Münsterschwarzach: the founders of these two religious institutions are the Mattons, the forefathers of the House of Castell. The Counts were among the "most outstanding patrons and benefactors of the ancient monastery in Schwarzach"(Bausch PE [VI]a). Some were even interred in the abbey church,

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
and were governors of the monastery on the Schwarzach from 1148 (the first documentary mention) to 1230. During the warlike clashes between the counts of Castell and the Bishop-Prince of Wuerzburg in the years 1230 and 1283, however, there was a rift between between the "sheriff" and the episcopal monastery. Apart from these disagreements and some hunting disputes, the numerous legal and economic relations were carried out in an orderly manner.
 
Location. 49° 48.25′ N, 10° 13.728′ E. Marker is in Schwarzach am Main, Bavaria, in Landkreis Kitzingen. Marker can be reached from Schweinfurter Strasse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Schwarzach am Main, Bavaria 97359, Germany. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dettelbach City Hall (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); The Bacchus Inn (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Dettelbach Synagogue (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Mainstockheim Synagogue (approx. 6.4 kilometers away); Peter Geist (approx. 6.6 kilometers away); Peter Ochs, Metzler / Peter Ochs, the Butcher (approx. 6.7 kilometers away); Und Davor ein Kapellchen und Almosenstock / And for that a Chapel and Begging Stick (approx. 6.7 kilometers away); Bei einem Backofen / At the Baker's Oven (approx. 6.7 kilometers away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is located in the parking lot of the Münsterschwarzach Abbey, just a short walk to the west of the abbey itself.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Schwarzach am Main.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 77 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 25, 2019, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement