Leadville in Lake County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Hebrew Cemetery: Final Resting Place of Leadville Jews
The Hebrew Cemetery
The Hebrew Benevolent Association established the Hebrew Cemetery in January,1880, in the Southwest corner of Leadville’s Evergreen Cemetery with the transfer of 101,000 square feet from the Union Veteran’s Association. The passing of Gustave “Fred” Jelenko during June,1879 on Fremont Pass likely prompted the need for this acquisition and Jelenko was reinterred after the Cemetery was prepared.
Leadville grew as the mining industry prospered. However, production began to decline in the late 1880’s and collapsed after the repeal of the Sherman Silver Purchase Act in 1893. The Jewish population followed this course and interments at the cemetery dwindled over the following decades leading to its neglect during much of the 20th century.
Minette Miller (1894-1981) was the last “old time” Jewish Leadville native to be buried in the cemetery, alongside her parents, Minnie Betsie Miller (1868-1934) and Nathan Harris Miller (1862-1934) and brother Henry Miller (1890-1909).
The Temple Israel Foundation (established in 1987) acquired title to the
In 1996, B’nai B’rith Denver began sponsoring volunteer weekends to restore the cemetery by clearing decades of overgrowth, building a new fence, erecting an entryway arch, and adding stone monuments. Missing grave markers were replaced by 2004. With the re-consecration of the cemetery, new burials began in 2001.
Erected 2016 by Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, The Temple Israel Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation Markers series list.
Location. 39° 14.941′ N, 106° 18.474′ W. Marker is in Leadville, Colorado, in Lake County. The Hebrew Cemetery is located within Evergreen Cemetery, in the southwest corner. "After passing through the main entrance of the Evergreen Cemetery at the north end of James Street, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leadville CO 80461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temple Israel: A Frontier Synagogue and Museum (approx. 0.8 miles away); Healy House (approx. 0.8 miles away); David May (approx. 0.9 miles away); John B. "Texas Jack" Omohundro (approx. 1.3 miles away); Matchless Mine (approx. 2 miles away); 10th Mountain Division Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away); Office of Stratigic Services (O.S.S.) NORSO (Rype Group) Special Force (approx. 7.8 miles away); Norwegian Memorial (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leadville.
More about this marker. Marker located just outside of the Entryway Arch, on the left hand side.
Also see . . . Hebrew Cemetery. Temple Israel website entry (Submitted on June 28, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 25, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.