Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Salesianum School

 
 
Salesianum School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
1. Salesianum School Marker
Inscription.  Salesianum School, a Catholic high school for young men, stood at 8th and West Streets from its founding in 1903 until its move to this location in 1957. The original "House of Sales" was pioneered by Rev. Charles Fromentin, Rev. James Isenring and Rev. Louis Jacquter, priests in the order of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, which has owned and operated the school and maintained a community presence for more than one hundred years. Salesianum quickly developed a reputation as a leader in academics, athletics, and the performing arts, graduating young men who would go on to prominence in the professions, business, education, church, and military. In 1950, Rev. Thomas A. Lawless, OSFS, a 1908 graduate of Salesianum, admitted five African American students, four years prior to the Brown v. Board of Education decision made it mandatory. "I see nothing to apologize for other than the fact it wasn't done years ago," Father Lawless said of his decision. For over a century, Salesianum has continued to educate students irrespective of religion or ethnic background to live in the example of the gentleman saint, Francis de Sales. From the original twelve
Salesianum High School image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
2. Salesianum High School
students in 1903 to the thousands of alumni who have since studied under the Oblates, Tenui Nec Dimittam remains true to this day.
 
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-148.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 39° 45.642′ N, 75° 32.937′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on N. Broom St. near W. 20th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Looking Back… (approx. 0.3 miles away); Looking Back... (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Looking Back… (approx. 0.3 miles away); African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); North Memories of Brandywine Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Castle County Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Looking Back... (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Additional keywords.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Integration
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,320 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 27, 2020