Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shiloh Baptist Church

 
 
Shiloh Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
1. Shiloh Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  The origin of this congregation can be traced to 1875, when members of a Sunday School class affiliated with First Baptist Church met to plan the organization of a separate church to serve the needs of the city's African-American residents. Formally organized on May 31, 1876, Shiloh was the first African-American Baptist church in the State of Delaware. The first pastor was Reverend Benjamin T. Moore, who continued to serve in that capacity until his death in 1928. For several years meetings were held in the Old Masonic Hall on West 12th Street. The rapid growth of the congregation resulted in demand for additional space. Construction of a church at the corner of 12th and Orange Streets was initiated in 1881. Members continued to worship there until 1946, when the old building was sold and the congregation moved to the former site of East Baptist Church at 5th and Walnut Streets. The sale of that property to the City of Wilmington resulted in the completion of a new church on this site in 1972. A desire to extend Shiloh's active Outreach Ministry to the community led to the purchase of additional property in 1994.
 
Erected
Shiloh Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 7, 2008
2. Shiloh Baptist Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-152.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1778.
 
Location. 39° 45.341′ N, 75° 32.428′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on W. 23rd Street, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 W 23rd Street, Wilmington DE 19802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. One Love Park (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brandywine Village and the Road to Yorktown (approx. 0.3 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Joseph Tatnall House (approx. 0.3 miles away); African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brandywine Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Castle County Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Looking Back... (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Also see . . .  History of Shiloh Baptist Church. (Submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,605 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=13583

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2021