Near Copake Falls in Columbia County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Blast Furnace & Charging Deck
Iron Works Trail
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II built the first iron furnace near this location. The blast furnace stack visible today dates to about 1871, when improvements were made to the Copake Iron Works by Frederick Miles after he purchased the site from Pomeroy.
The 32-foot-tall furnace was once clad in marble blocks. It had an uncommon system of controlling the hearth temperature with metal cases filled with water. The furnace ran until 1903, and at the height of its operation, produced about 3,750 tons of iron per year.
Behind the furnace are stone retaining walls that once supported a covered wooden charging deck. Carts of crushed iron ore, limestone, and charcoal were wheeled through the charging deck and dumped into the charging hole at the top of the blast furnace. (Marker Number 3.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 42° 7.185′ N, 73° 30.957′ W. Marker is near Copake Falls, New York, in Columbia County. Marker can be reached from Valley View Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Copake Falls NY 12517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Site of Pomeroy Houses (within shouting distance of this marker); Isaac Chesbrough House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pomeroy Homes (within shouting distance of this marker); Copake Iron Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Pomeroy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charcoal Blast Furnace Operations (about 500 feet away); Blowing Engine House (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Copake Iron Works (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Copake Falls.
Regarding Blast Furnace & Charging Deck. The charging deck no longer exists.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.