Gulfport in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The U.S. Department of the Interior has listed the Gulfport Casino in the National Register of Historic Places. This is the third such Casino on this location. The first fell in the 1921 hurricane; the second came down in the early 1930s. Using funds from the Works Progress Administration's Civil Works Authority. Gulfport dedicated the Casino on December 1, 1935. A crowd of 1,200 people attended the dedication, which included a flag raising and a concert by the Florida Military Academy.
Throughout Gulfport's history, the Gulfport Casino served as a gathering place for the community and visitors alike. At the first casino, Gulfport's first tourists disembarked a trolley and could board a ferry to Pass-A-Grille. In 1910, Gulfport's incorporation was held here.
The designation as a casino stems from the Italian "casa" and refers to a public hall or gathering place; the Gulfport Casino has never served as a gaming facility. The Gulfport Casino is one of two WPA projects in Gulfport; the other, to the east, is the municipal pier.
Erected 2015 by City of Gulfport.
Topics and series. Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series list.
Location. 27° 44.258′ N, 82° 42.485′ W. Marker is in Gulfport, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is at the intersection of Shore Boulevard South and Beach Boulevard South, on the right when traveling east on Shore Boulevard South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5500 Shore Boulevard South, Saint Petersburg FL 33707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rattlesnake Curve (approx. one mile away); Stetson University College of Law (approx. 1˝ miles away); St. Bartholomew's Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); "Pass-A-Grille" (approx. 3.8 miles away); The History of Princess Hirrihigua (approx. 3.8 miles away); Zephaniah Phillips' Homestead Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); First Settlement and Post Office (approx. 4.3 miles away); Panfilo de Narvaez (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulfport.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.