Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Brown County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Georgetown

Raiders in the Town Square

 

— John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —

 
Georgetown - Raiders in the Town Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
1. Georgetown - Raiders in the Town Square Marker
Inscription.  Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan sent his brother, Colonel Richard Morgan, and about 200 Confederate raiders on a foraging expedition into Georgetown the morning of July 15, 1863. Elizabeth King wrote a letter to Ulysses S. Grant in 1884 describing the events.

The raiders’ systematic search of stables and sheds produced only a single horse, owned by William Ellsberry. Other raiders focused on plundering dry goods and shoe stores, “taking the best, carrying off many pieces of silk and all they could possibly carry away.” A search of the former Grant home on East Grant Avenue proved fruitless. When the raiders broke into the post office, they found two muskets. “They broke them over the rocks and left them in the street.”

Some raiders went to each house asking for food. “The Ladies gave them all they asked for,” King reported. “They were all very polite and bowing and lifting their hats when leaving.” Colonel Morgan asked Mrs. John Stuart for “a piece of bread and butter with a glass of buttermilk” but was interrupted by an orderly when half finished.
John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
2. John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail Marker
The Colonel got up in hurry and “the bugle sounded and in less than five minutes they were all mounted and left town.”

Text: Net Lodwick, Illustrations: Bev Kirk
 
Erected 2016. (Marker Number 12.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in Ohio marker series.
 
Location. 38° 51.945′ N, 83° 54.248′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Ohio, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and East Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. It is on the courthouse lawn, to the left of the entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown OH 45121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The American Creed (a few steps from this marker); Ulysses S. Grant (within shouting distance of this marker); General Thomas Lyon Hamer (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ulysses S. Grant Boyhood Home (about 700 feet away); The Washburn-Dixon Log House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dixon-Washburn Log House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gist Settlement (approx. 3.3 miles away); Russell Shaw (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
More about this marker. Four illustrations are on the left side of the interpretive panel, captioned “Colonel Richard Curd Morgan commanded the 14th Kentucky Cavalry Regiment.” “Colonel Richard Morgan’s contingent of Confederate raiders filled the courthouse square on July 15, 1863.” “Ulysses S. Grant lived here as a young child until he left to attend West Point. His home is located one block east of here at 219 East Grant Avenue.” and “Ulysses S. Grant.”
 
Categories.
Brown County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 11, 2019
3. Brown County Courthouse
This interpretive panel historical marker to the left of the courthouse, at the base of a pine tree.
War, US Civil
 

More. Search the internet for Georgetown.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 118 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement