Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Deland in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic Volusia County Courthouse

 
 
Historic Volusia County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 16, 2019
1. Historic Volusia County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  In 1888, Henry A. DeLand donated land for the construction of a wooden courthouse after the city of DeLand became the new seat for Volusia County. Starting in 1927, construction began on a new courthouse designed in the Neoclassical style. Competed in 1929 for a final cost of $500,000, the new courthouse was described as "one of the most beautiful county administration buildings in the South." It featured fluted Corinthian columns, vaulted arches, marble staircases, a distinctive copper clad dome, and an interior cupola featuring a stained glass dome. Additionally, it had elaborate twin facades containing ornate balustrades and terra cotta entablature. The dedication ceremony on November 18, 1929, was attended by more than 3,000 locals who enjoyed a pork barbecue, concerts from the Stetson Symphony Orchestra and the DeLand Concert Band, and circus performers provided by the Johnny J. Jones Show. The first woman to graduate from Stetson College of Law and to be registered with the Florida State Supreme Court, Mary Stewart Howarth-Hewitt, practiced law here. In 1987, the Volusia County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic
Historic Volusia County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 16, 2019
2. Historic Volusia County Courthouse and Marker
Places as a part of the Downtown DeLand Historic District.
 
Erected 2018 by County of Volusia, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-1018.)
 
Location. 29° 1.733′ N, 81° 18.26′ W. Marker is in Deland, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue 0.1 miles west of Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the left when traveling west. There are two identical markers (except for the number)located on the north and south sides of the building. This one is on the north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 West New York Avenue, Deland FL 32720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Volusia County Historic Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Commercial Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Landis-Fish Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); First Movie House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Historic Volusia County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haven Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Building (about 300 feet away).
 
Categories. ArchitectureGovernment & Politics
 

More. Search the internet for Historic Volusia County Courthouse.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement