Near Mertzon in Irion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This ranching community was named for John Arden, a sheep raiser who arrived in 1876. After 1900, small homesteaders moved into the area. Joe Funk gave land for a school and cemetery in 1903. Baptist, Church of Christ, and Methodist congregations shared the schoolhouse for worship. Camp meetings were held at "the Grove" on Rocky Creek. In 1916 the school moved to a brick building at this site. Following a series of droughts, Arden began to decline. The post office closed in 1942 and the school in 1947. A frame polling station replaced the brick schoolhouse here.
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 59.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 26.621′ N, 100° 45.993′ W. Marker is near Mertzon, Texas, in Irion County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 853 10.8 miles north of U.S. 67, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mertzon TX 76941, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherwood Cemetery Irion County (approx. 11.4 miles away); Sherwood Courthouse (approx. 11.4 miles away); Dove Creek Battle/Texas Civil War Indian Trouble (approx. 13.2 miles away); Anti-Tuberculosis Colony No. 1 (approx. 13.3 miles away); Knickerbocker Schools (approx. 14.6 miles away); Knickerbocker (approx. 14.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Arden, Texas - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 1, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 1, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on November 25, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.