Neches in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1871, McDonald donated three hundred acres of land to the International Railroad Company, with the stipulation that a town and station be established, and that he would receive three lots in the town. By 1872 the railroad had reached the new town, and McDonald built a hotel at this site on one of his city lots. The hotel became a social center of the area.
Murdoch McDonald, considered the founder of Neches, remained a leader in the community until his death on November 1, 1889. He and his wife are both buried in the Mound Prairie Cemetery. Most of their children remained in the county. One son, John, and a grandson, Walter H. McDonald, operated retail businesses in Neches
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8780.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 52.018′ N, 95° 29.74′ W. Marker is in Neches, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 2574 and Neches Street, on the left when traveling north on Road 2574. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Neches TX 75779, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mound Prairie Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Mount Vernon United Methodist Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Mewshaw State Sawmill and Maydell CCC Camp (approx. 9.6 miles away); Swanson Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); Texas State Railroad (approx. 9.9 miles away); Earle's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Earle's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); Timothy Stephen Smith (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 1, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.