Troy in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Troy Presbyterian Church
Erected by Presbyterian Historical Society. (Marker Number 62.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list.
Location. 40° 2.303′ N, 84° 12.192′ W. Marker is in Troy, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is at the intersection of East Franklin and East Franklin, on the right when traveling west on East Franklin. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 South Walnut Street, Troy OH 45373, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. WACO (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Troy's Public Square & Third Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Overfield Tavern (about 800 feet away); Courthouses and Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Engine Storage Location (approx. Sheriff’s House and Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); LFWB&G Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Miami County War Savings Quota Plaque (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
Regarding Troy Presbyterian Church. First Church was organized 13 September 1813, and built a brick church in 1826-27. This building was sold in 1838, as a result of the Old/New School split. A two story frame structure, erected by the New School congregation on the second site, was replaced in 1859 by the present brick building. The Old and New School congregations reunited in April, 1870. Rev. Daniel Rice, pastor 1842-55, was active on behalf of the acceptance of the state free public education law and served on the first Board of Education. Horace Mann lectured in the church in 1854. The movement for establishing the Presbyterian Homes of Ohio originated here in 1920.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.