Montgomery in Grant Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
One of the oldest towns in the state, it began in 1719 as Bon Dieu Falls, a French trading post. In 1840 General Thomas Woodward bought the land and named it Creola Bluff. In 1860 it was renamed Montgomery. It was an important steamboat port until the advent of the railroad in 1901.
Erected by Grant Arts Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 40.063′ N, 92° 53.389′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Louisiana, in Grant Parish. Marker is on Montgomery/Campti Highway (U.S. 71) near Caddo Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery LA 71454, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yucca Plantation (approx. 6½ miles away); Badin-Roque House (approx. 6.7 miles away); Verda (approx. 7.2 miles away); Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation (approx. 7.8 miles away); Bayou Folk Museum (approx. 9 miles Henri de Tonti (approx. 12.3 miles away); The Jefferson Highway (approx. 13 miles away); El Camino Real de los Tejas (approx. 13.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2019.