Deweyville in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original site, called "Possum Bluff," was purchased for $200 by Pierre Lavine from H.L. Morrison in 1886. The Sabine Tram Company purchased the land in 1897 from G. Smyth and a sawmill was built shortly thereafter. The mill soon became the center of industry for the small community. The town was later renamed for U.S. Admiral George Dewey, who served with distinction during the Spanish-American War. Peavy-Moore Lumber Company purchased the mill in 1919, but a devastating fire destroyed the mill in 1943, leaving the town without an economic center. The Sabine and Neches Valley Railway ceased operations shortly after and most citizens associated with the mill left the area.
Erected 2009 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 11111.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, Spanish-American.
Location. 30° 18.064′ N, 93° 44.897′ W. Marker is in Deweyville, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on Old Texas 87 (State Road Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deweyville TX 77614, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Confederate Military Road (approx. 8.2 miles away in Louisiana); Civil War Memorial (approx. 8.2 miles away in Louisiana); Timber and Logging (approx. 12.4 miles away); Site Of World War II P.O.W. Camp (approx. 13˝ miles away); Absalom Jett (approx. 13˝ miles away); Old First Orange Baptist Church (approx. 13.6 miles away); Black Education in Orange County (approx. 13.7 miles away); Emma Henderson Wallace (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2019.