Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harleton in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Harleton

 
 
Harleton Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 23, 2019
1. Harleton Marker
Inscription.  Although settlement in this area between the forks of Big and Little Cypress creeks began in the 1830s, notable growth did not occur until the arrival of a railroad here in 1891. The railroad was a vital part of a venture financed by John H. Inman, organized by Edwin J. Fry, and executed by brothers Robert H. and James W. Harle, to exploit the area's virgin forests. Organized as the Hope Lumber Company, they constructed a depot and large commissary, installed a band sawmill, and extended a tram road into the Eagle Creek area.

The nearby village of Grady was unable to compete against the Harles' well-stocked store and dance hall and soon faded. Its post office, renamed Harleton after the Harle brothers, was relocated to the Harle store.

Harleton's economy boomed as timber production led to increased farm activity, and local merchants such as D.C. Webb and Son, Dreyfus-Little Mercantile Co., J.P. Craver and Son, and R.W. Taylor General Merchandise increased stocks to meet a growing demand for wares.

By the late 1890s, however, Hope Lumber Company had processed the area's available timber and closed its mill. The
Harleton Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 23, 2019
2. Harleton Marker Area
Click or scan to see
this page online
railroad later joined with the Marshall & East Texas Railroad. Harleton continued, supported by agriculture and other timber operations in the area.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10172.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 32° 40.475′ N, 94° 34.227′ W. Marker is in Harleton, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is on State Highway 154, 0.3 miles east of Grand Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harleton TX 75651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James F. Taylor Lodge No. 169, A.F. & A.M. (approx. 11.7 miles away); Sherman Chapel Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 11.7 miles away); Hallsville (approx. 11.8 miles away); Kellyville (approx. 11.8 miles away); Honoring Veterans of the War Between the States (approx. 11.8 miles away); Early Bell Foundry (approx. 11.9 miles away); Old Grover Cemetery (approx. 12.9 miles away); First Ice Factory in Texas (approx. 13.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=136301

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 20, 2022