Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Barnhart in Irion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Barnhart Cowboy Church

 
 
Barnhart Cowboy Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 6, 2019
1. Barnhart Cowboy Church Marker
Inscription.  Local residents, representing several faiths, gathered for an outdoor community meeting in 1914 to organize this Union church. The sanctuary was constructed by cowboys from area ranches, working under the supervision of W. H. Parker and his brother-in-law Henry Barker. Completed in 1917, the building is known as the Cowboy Church. Since the early days of Barnhart, members of various Christian denominations have worshiped here together.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981

 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 258.)
 
Location. 31° 7.731′ N, 101° 10.444′ W. Marker is in Barnhart, Texas, in Irion County. Marker is at the intersection of Draper Street and 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Draper Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 5th Street, Barnhart TX 76930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Barnhart (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line).
 
Categories.
Barnhart Cowboy Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 6, 2019
2. Barnhart Cowboy Church
Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for Barnhart Cowboy Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement