Near Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created May 3, 1871
Organized March 9, 1875
On March 9, 1875, the following
county officers were elected:
George M. Frazer, Chief Justice
Cesario Torres, Commissioner
Francis Rooney, Commissioner
Hipolito Carrasco, Commissioner
Martin Hufmann, Commissioner
Fort Stockton, County Seat
Oil was discovered in the
Yates field in 1926
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 3973.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 3, 1871.
Location. 30° 53.582′ N, 102° 51.408′ W. Marker is near Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is on East Dickinson Boulevard (Business Interstate 10) half a mile west of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesHovey School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Stockton Guard House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Comanche Springs (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Fort Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Visitor Center (approx. 1.3 miles away); O. W. Williams (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
Also see . . . Pecos County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.