Mount Joy in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This statue is a memorial to the ship "Mountjoy" that saved starving Scot-Irish of Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in 1689. Twenty years later, these same people came to this area bringing their beloved name with them. Mountjoy Township was named first in 1759, followed by the village of Mountjoy in 1812. Mount Joy was incorporated into a borough in 1851.
The ship statue has emerged from the proceeds at Mount Joy's sesquicentennial celebration held in May 2001. It is presented to the town as a gift to commemorate our shared heritage.
Dan Witmer: Sculptor
Topics. This historical marker and memorial is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical month for this entry is May 2001.
Location. 40° 6.563′ N, 76° 29.954′ W. Marker is in Mount Joy, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on East Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 230) west of South Barbara Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 93 East Main Street, Mount Joy PA 17552, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. War Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Honor RollVietnam Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); World War II Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Standby Park (approx. half a mile away); Early Telegraph (approx. 2½ miles away); Siegrist's Mill Bridge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Forry's Mill Bridge (1869) (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Joy.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.