Charloe in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Erected in the War of
1812 by a contingent
of Harrison’s army and
commanded by Colonel Brown.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 6.71′ N, 84° 25.133′ W. Marker was in Charloe, Ohio, in Paulding County. Marker was at the intersection of County Route 171 and County Route 177, on the right when traveling south on County Route 171. This marker was most likely situated on the southeast corner of the intersection, about a thousand feet east of the site of Fort Brown, which is just on the other side of the Little Auglaize River bridge crossing. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Oakwood OH 45873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this location, measured as The Indians (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Fort Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charloe (approx. 1.6 miles away); Imaginary Likeness Of Chief Charloe Peter (approx. 1.6 miles away); Charloe Community Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Miami-Erie and Wabash-Erie Canals (approx. 6 miles away); Joshua A. Ramsey Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charloe.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 74 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 16, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7, 8. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.