Spencerville in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Erected in 1812, for General
William H. Harrison, by
Colonel Robert Poague, who
named the fort for his wife.
An important supply base
during the War of 1812.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • War of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 40° 42.533′ N, 84° 21.215′ W. Marker was in Spencerville, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker was at the intersection of Broadway Street (Ohio Route 66) and East 4th Street (Ohio Route 117), on the right when traveling south on Broadway Street. This marker would have been located at the intersection of these two highways. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Spencerville OH 45887, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Kolter's Mill (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Village of SpencervilleVillage of Spencerville (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Village of Spencerville (about 500 feet away); Bowersock Bros. Post No. 6772 Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Revolutionary War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Persian Gulf War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spencerville Area Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spencerville.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 69 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . . Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 17, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.