University of Scranton Centennial
On this site on August 12, 1888, Bishop William O'Hara laid the cornerstone for "Old Main," the original building for St. Thomas College, now the University of Scranton, northeastern Pennsylvania's oldest four-year college. Presently located on a campus surrounding the former estate of Joseph H. Scranton, one of the city's founding citizens, the university was served for many years by the Christian Brothers before its administration was assumed by the Jesuits in 1942.
Erected 1988 by University of Scranton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 41° 24.634′ N, 75° 39.798′ W. Marker is in Scranton, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Wyoming Avenue south of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 Wyoming Avenue, Scranton PA 18503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scranton Preparatory School (a few steps from this marker); Pope Saint Pius X (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . University of Scranton. (Submitted on July 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.