Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Walled Lake in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Stonecrest

 
 
Stonecrest Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 13, 2019
1. Stonecrest Marker
Inscription.  This land served as the local schoolhouse site from 1836 to 1895. The original schoolhouse situated here was built of hewn logs and oak shakes. Stonecrest was constructed as a one-room schoolhouse in 1860. The teacher at Stonecrest in 1868-69 was Joseph B. Moore, who later sat on the Supreme Court of Michigan and was the son of the builder of the school, Jacob J. Moore. Stonecrest is built of native stones, which were broken, faced and laid up in quicklime mortar. The building is situated on the highest point within the original village of Walled Lake as platted by Jesse Tuttle in 1836. It became the home of the Commerce Township Area Historical Society in 1980.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L890.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 42° 31.958′ N, 83° 29.066′ W. Marker is in Walled Lake, Michigan, in Oakland County.
Stonecrest and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 13, 2019
2. Stonecrest and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at the intersection of Liberty Street and North Pontiac Trail, on the right when traveling south on Liberty Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 Liberty Street, Walled Lake MI 48390, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walled Lake (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walled Lake Casino (approx. 1½ miles away); Worth the Drive (approx. 1½ miles away); Built for Fun (approx. 1½ miles away); Pavilion Shore Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Wolverine Lake (approx. 2.1 miles away); Detroit Finnish Co-operative Summer Camp Association / Detroitin Suomailinen Kesaleiriyhdistys (approx. 2.2 miles away); From Sibley's Corners to Wixom (approx. 2.6 miles away).
 
Stonecrest image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 13, 2019
3. Stonecrest
View from the east.
Stonecrest from the North image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 13, 2019
4. Stonecrest from the North
Stonecrest 1860 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, July 13, 2019
5. Stonecrest 1860
Plaque at front of building:
This building was purchased by the Walled Lake Civic Welfare Club in 1939 for use as a community meeting place. It was donated to the Commerce Township Area Historical Society in 1980.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=136645

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022