Newton in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Formed from Jasper County
Created April 22, 1846,
Organized July 13, 1846.
Named in honor of
Sergeant John Newton
Hero of the American Revolution
County seat, Newton, 1846
Newton, since 1853
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 11120.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 48.887′ N, 93° 43.107′ W. Marker is in Newton, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on U.S. 190 half a mile west of Hickory Lane, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newton TX 75966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Roadside Park (a few steps from this marker); Newton County, C.S.A. (a few steps from this marker); Ford Chapel, Cemetery, and School (approx. 3 miles away); Autrey-Williams House (approx. 3.3 miles away); W. H. Ford Male & Female College Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers (approx. 3.4 miles away); Town of Newton (approx. 3.4 miles away); Newton County Courthouse (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
More about this marker. Located in a small roadside park.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Newton County.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2019.