Malvern in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Malvern Memorial Parade
Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, an organization of former Union soldiers and sailors – the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) – established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. The first large observance was held that year on May 30 at Arlington National Cemetery near Washington, D.C.
The Malvern Memorial Parade draws its heritage from these two commemorations. Tradition says the first Malvern Parade was held in 1869, the oldest continuing Memorial Parade in the country. Today, the Upper Main Line Veterans of Foreign Wars Post # 5203 is the host veteran organization and the Parade is sponsored by the Upper Main Line Memorial Association.
From the beginning, the idea of a Decoration Day parade rapidly grew in popularity, as local veterans posts sought to have their own parades. Malvern, West Chester and Wayne were no exception.
Erected by Paoli Memorial Association.
Location. 40° 1.784′ N, 75° 31.161′ W. Marker is in Malvern, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on Monument Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Marker is on the Paoli Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Malvern PA 19355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Malvern Area World War I Memorial (here, next to this marker); Paoli Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); Malvern World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Paoli (a few steps from this marker); “Remember Paoli!” (within shouting distance of this marker); "We bury’d our Dead next day in the field of Battle, All kill’d by the sword and Bayonet." (within shouting distance of this marker); This Wall Paoli Massacre Monument (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Malvern.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker contains a copy of a publication about Camp Wayne (artwork courtesy of the National Bank of Malvern). The illustration, originally published by Huddy and Duval, No. 7 Bank Alley, opposite the Exchange, Philadelphia, features a picture of soldiers at Fort Wayne, with the caption, “Pennsylvania Volunteers Encampment on the Paoli Battle Ground Sept. 19th, 20th, 21st, & 22nd, 1840.” Also present is a picture of a facsimile of the monument, erected by the Troops of Chester County, with the assistance of local Malvern citizens. The illustration lists the names of officials, including Governor Gen. David R. Porter and Aids, General Jones, and Adam Diller, Adjutant General, and the staff and companies of right and left wings.
The bottom of the marker contains a photograph of a military honor guard on the Paoli Grounds, courtesy of Dr. Wiley Behler.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This series of markers follow the walking trail of the Paoli Battlefield.
Also see . . . Paoli Battlefield - Paoli Massacre. Paoli Battlefield website. (Submitted on November 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Patriots & Patriotism •
More. Search the internet for Malvern Memorial Parade.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.