Lewis in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lewis Hotel and Central School
The Village of Lewis started to be developed in 1818. One of the first buildings was the Lewis Hotel owned and operated by David Sykes. It was located on the corner where Route 9 meets Fox Run Road until it burned down on October 1, 1961. The Village soon consisted of a store, dwelling house, barn, and school house. The school ~ Lewis Central District School 2 - was located behind the Lewis Hotel. It received children from a three-mile radius. It was surrounded on three sides by the cemetery leaving no room to play so students played on the Kendall property, opposite the school where there was a field and barn. In 1887 the Central School was the second school built in Lewis. The school was one room until 1895 when an addition was added. This made it into a two-room school house with a smaller room for the first four grades and the larger room for the higher grades. Around 1922 there were more improvements with the addition of two shared flush toilets and sinks. On Mondays, students were issued paper cups for the week from which they could drink water from the sinks. In 1937 the school centralized to Elizabethtown Lewis Central School (Marker
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 44° 16.51′ N, 73° 33.943′ W. Marker is in Lewis, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on U.S. 9 north of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewis NY 12950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Inez Milholland (here, next to this marker); Maccabee Hall and Other Lewis Landmarks (within shouting distance of this marker); Atlas F Missle Silo Site in Lewis, NY and War Veterans (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Lewis Veterans Park (about 600 feet away); Edgar P. Wadhams (approx. 2.6 miles away); John Brown’s Body (approx. 4˝ miles away); Elizabethtown War Memorials (approx. 4˝ miles away); Toll-Gate House (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewis.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 17, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 5 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on July 17, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.