The First Baptist Church
This church was organized on December 23, 1855, with 15 members. The establishment of the fellowship was directed by a Presbytery consisting of ministers John Bean, William Blackshear, E. S. Phelps, and W. W. Maund. The first service was conducted on Christmas Day by the Rev. Blackshear. Another church organizer, the Rev. Maund, served as the initial pastor. In 1856 the church elected the first deacon, Fabian Adams, a local merchant who served as a trustee for the Jasper Collegiate Institute.
The fellowship, which included slaves as early as 1859, worshiped at this site in a small wooden sanctuary. Despite a decline in membership during the 1870s, the church later outgrew the facility. A larger wooden building was constructed here in 1893, following a year of exceptional growth for the congregation. With minor additions, the structure served the members until the present sanctuary was completed in 1943, during the second pastorate of Dr. E. A. Ingram.
The First Baptist Church has been instrumental in the development of area missions. Congregations sponsored by the church include Adams Chapel, North Baptist, Hillcrest Mission,and Tanglewood
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10445.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 55.407′ N, 94° 0.03′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is on North Main Street north of East Milam Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 North Main Street, Jasper TX 75951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jasper County (about 700 feet away); Jasper County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Belle-Jim Hotel (about 800 feet away); Jasper County, C. S. A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beaty-Orton House (approx. ¼ mile away); Waggoner-Scarborough Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Jasper Public Schools (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2019.