Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jasper in Jasper County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church

Of Jasper

 
 
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, July 4, 2019
1. First United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  
During the late 1830s, the Rev. Moses Spear came to Texas and organized a Methodist circuit that included the town of Jasper. A congregation soon was established. In 1839, the Rev. Daniel Carl became first pastor. Jasper Methodists held worship services in private homes, in the County Courthouse, and in the Masonic Lodge building until 1859, when their first sanctuary was constructed. Men were allowed to enter the building from the front door, while women came in through the back entrance, and slaves climbed an outside staircase to enter their balcony. The women's Foreign Missionary Society, formed in 1882, began a fund-raising drive in 1903 that resulted in the erection of a new sanctuary. Completed in 1906, during the pastorate of the Rev. M. L. Lindsey, "the church the women built" served the congregation for twenty years. New facilities were added over the years as membership grew.

Pastors who have served the First United Methodist Church of Jasper have included noted East Texas circuit rider Francis Wilson; James T. Irvine, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto; and E. L. Armstrong, who also taught school in Jasper County. Descendants

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of many of the early members still worship here.
 
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10447.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 30° 55.362′ N, 94° 0.12′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is on North Bowie Street north of College Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 329 North Bowie Street, Jasper TX 75951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jasper County (about 600 feet away); Jasper County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Jasper County, C. S. A. (about 800 feet away); Belle-Jim Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beaty-Orton House (approx. ¼ mile away); Waggoner-Scarborough Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jasper Public Schools (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
 
First United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, July 4, 2019
2. First United Methodist Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2019.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=136892

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024