Washington in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Assembly Hall
Built ca. 1801 and operated as a tavern by Charles De France and Richard Fletcher, the two-story, wood frame building that stood here housed Mississippi's territorial legislature from at least 1808 to 1811. At the time, Washington was the territorial capital. Among the activities of the assembly during this period was the chartering of Mississippi's first bank in 1809. In addition, the tavern housed the Supreme Court. Listed National Register of Historic Places in 1978, Assembly Hall burned in 1993.
Erected 2017 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 34.765′ N, 91° 17.893′ W. Marker is in Washington, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 61 and Assembly Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 61. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington MS 39190, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The President's House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. John W. MonetteWashington (about 700 feet away); Andrew Jackson at Washington (about 700 feet away); Jefferson Military College (about 800 feet away); Washington Campground (approx. ¼ mile away); Elizabeth Female Academy (approx. half a mile away); Site of Elizabeth Female College (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2019.