Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jasper in Jasper County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

J. H. Rowe School History

 
 
J. H. Rowe School History Marker image. Click for full size.
July 4, 2019
1. J. H. Rowe School History Marker
Inscription.  
In 1875, ten years after the Civil War, the Jasper County Training School for Negroes was established two miles east of Jasper at Cold Springs on a two-acre tract of land with professor J.W. Moore, a very courageous caucasian, as its first principal. Later during that year, Professor Moore was replaced with a black principal, Professor Jack Adams, who managed the school from 1875 to 1880. Fifteen different principals managed the school from 1880 to 1924.

In 1924, Professor J.H. Rowe, a very perceptive black man, became the eighteenth principal of the school. Early during his administration, the school was relocated to Jasper on one acre of land, but in very unsanitary conditions. Patrons of the community concerned about the unsanitary conditions of the school, expressed their concerns to the school board. In response to the appeal of the concerned patrons, the school board purchased 10 acres of connecting land expanding the campus to 11 acres and greatly improving the unsanitary conditions of the campus.

Professor J.H. Rowe's administration spanned from 1924 until his death in 1943. During his administration, the school increased in

J. H. Rowe School History Marker image. Click for full size.
July 4, 2019
2. J. H. Rowe School History Marker
the number of teachers and students and the curriculum expanded to include classes in home economics and agriculture; in 1928 the school was accredited by the state Board of Education and in 1933 the school name was changed from Jasper County Training School to Jasper Negro High School. In 1943 the name of the school was changed from Jasper Negro High School to J.H. Rowe High School in honor of Professor Rowe's memory and achievements.

Following the death of professor J.H. Rowe his son Professor Oran A. Rowe became the school's nineteenth principal. During his administration the teaching staff and student enrollment continued to increase, and the school plant expanded from a five-room building to a fifteen-room building, including an auditorium with a seating capacity for 500 students. Continued plant expansion included a lighted football stadium with a seating capacity for 2,000 spectators, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, eight additional classrooms and an office suite for school administrators.

At the end of the 1956 school term, Professor Oran A. Rowe resigned as principal to enter the ministry, and Mr. Sherman Coleman became the school's twentieth principal. During his administration the teaching staff and student enrollment continued to increase requiring further school plant expansion. In 1964 a new building was constructed on Highway 190 East and the school was divided into

J. H. Rowe School Memorial brick park image. Click for full size.
July 4, 2019
3. J. H. Rowe School Memorial brick park
a high school campus with Mr. Coleman as principal and an elementary school campus with Mr. P.V. Malone as principal. With continued growth, the J.H. Rowe High School upgraded its athletic program and became a force in its league with its winning teams and able coaching staff. The first state football championship came in 1967 with Mr. Clifton B. Williams as the head coach. Not only did the school excel in football, but was very competitive in basketball, baseball, track and field, and literary events at interscholastic league competitions.

Educational progress was evident, but inadequacies in the number of staff members course offerings, books and materials needed still existed. Despite these inadequacies, graduates of J.H. Rowe were inspired to further their education. Many attended colleges, universities and trade schools to become doctors, lawyers, nurses, engineers, educators, business managers, clerks, secretaries, bank tellers, marketing specialists, insurance agents and dietitians at major hospitals. Still others joined the armed forces and became military leaders in their respective branch of service.

Integration of the Jasper Schools in 1968 resulted in changes and realignment of schools within the Jasper Independent School District. J.H.Rowe High School became Jasper Junior School for grades five through eight. The memories, however of the original J.H. Rowe Educational

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Institution with its long legacy will be commemorated during school reunions and will linger forever in the hearts and minds of all its Alumni.
 
Location. 30° 55.025′ N, 93° 59.327′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of Hursey Street and Hall Street, on the right when traveling east on Hursey Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jasper TX 75951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of J.H. Rowe School (here, next to this marker); Belle-Jim Hotel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Beaty-Orton House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jasper County Courthouse (approx. mile away); Jasper County, C. S. A. (approx. mile away); a different marker also named Jasper County (approx. mile away); The First Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
 
More about this marker. Located in a small Memorial brick park.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for J. H. Rowe School History.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2019.
Paid Advertisement