Site of the Town of Bevilport
Important river navigation point,
1830-1860. Established by John
Bevil in whose honor the municipality
was first named in 1834
with Bevilport as seat of justice.
A mail station in 1835. County
seat of Jasper County, 1836-1837.
Incorporated June 5, 1837. A
business and social center until
the Civil War.
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 16062.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 30° 55.469′ N, 94° 9.362′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2799. Western Terminus of CR2799. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jasper TX 75951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bevilport (approx. 5.1 miles away); Pedigo Family Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); Alamo Wall and Bulldog Stadium (approx. 8.6 miles
More about this marker. Located at the Western terminus of CR 2799. In woods at a private residence fence line.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2019.