Pierre in Hughes County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Quartzite Border
Following South Dakota's admission as a state in 1889, the United States Department of Interior called on Surveyor Charles H. Bates to survey and mark the border between North and South Dakota. After purchasing quartzite stone from North Sioux Falls Stone Company, Bates worked through 1891 and 1892 setting 720 quartzite pillars like this one every 1/2 mile along the line.
The boundary became known as the "quartzite border" and it is the only state boundary marked in this fashion. More information about the marker program is available in the Cultural Heritage Center.
Location. 44° 22.388′ N, 100° 20.323′ W. Marker is in Pierre, South Dakota, in Hughes County. Marker is on Governors Drive 0.3 miles north of E. Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 Governors Drive, Pierre SD 57501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Dakota State Capitol (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. 0.6 miles away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre Soldiers' & Sailors' World War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); First and Only Hanging in Hughes County (approx. 0.7 miles away); Charles Hyde's Legacy (approx. ¾ mile away); John Sutherland and the Capital Fights (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierre.
Categories. • Landmarks • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for The Quartzite Border.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2019, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.