Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

History of the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden

 
 
History of the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 22, 2019
1. History of the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden Marker
Inscription.  
The property that is now home to the Tyler Rose Garden was first purchased by the City of Tyler in 1912 for the construction of a park and fairgrounds. After many years and at the urging of the former American Rose Society President Dr. Horace McFarland, an application to the Works Project Administration (WPA) was made in 1938 to fund the construction of a municipal rose garden. The $181,255 federal grant was thought to be the largest municipal park and rose garden project approved by the WPA in that era. The funds were used to construct a stone picnic pavilion, balcony, stairs, and other garden features. Keith Maxwell, the WPA landscape architect, drew the plan for the park and rose garden. The plan was ultimately revised by Henry Thompson, a local nurseryman, who laid out walkways and planted trees and shrubbery. Thompson would later be killed while serving as a fighter pilot during World War II. The garden would eventually be dedicated in his memory. Following the war, Robert Shelton Jr. became the Superintendent of the Parks and Recreation Department and made it his top priority to complete the garden. In 1952 the Tyler Rose Garden
History of the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 22, 2019
2. History of the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden Marker Area
was officially opened. The roses in the first garden were donated by local nurseries with the intent of created a living catalogue of roses produced by the Tyler rose industry. Nearly 3,000 rose bushes were used in the first planting.

 
Erected by The Gertrude Windsor Garden Club.
 
Location. 32° 20.753′ N, 95° 19.3′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from West Front Street (State Highway 31) east of Rose Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith County Rose Industry and the Tyler Rose Garden (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Butler College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Whitaker-McClendon House (approx. mile away); The Patterson Home (approx. 0.8 miles away); Richard Bennett Hubbard (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Judge Stockton P. Donley (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
 
Categories. Horticulture & Forestry
 

More. Search the internet for History of the Tyler Municipal Rose Garden.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement