Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Known by the trade name henderSon's printing, the business was a mainstay of Dayton's African American community for almost 60 years and became a printer of choice for everything from advertising materials, office forms, and a community publications called "housewife savers." John William Henderson Sr. (19131991) purchased his first printing press and founded the business in 1941, bringing to it experience as an instructor of journalism and printing at Wilberforce University. The business's first location was the family home at 421 Kearney St. After several moves, the business settled at 301 Washington Street in 1958.
Mary Esther (Franklin) Henderson (1915-1996), a teacher in Dayton's public schools, a community organizer, and active volunteer, purchased the building at 301 Washington Street. John Henderson Sr. trained and employed the couple's five children, several grandchildren, and many Dayton school students. Three Henderson children continued the business after attending college and taught printing in Dayton's public schools. By the time Henderson's Printing closed in 2000, its reach extended beyond the African
Erected 2018 by Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School and the Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 30-57.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 39° 45.117′ N, 84° 11.668′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of West Washington Street and Perry Street, on the right when traveling west on West Washington Street. The marker is at the south gate to Roger Glass Stadium. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Washington Street, Dayton OH 45402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sister Dorothy Stang, SNDdeN (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roman Column (approx. half a mile away); Montgomery County Civil War Cannon (approx. half a mile away); Gerald Ford (approx. 0.6 miles away); Richard M. NixonJames E. "Jimmy" Carter (approx. 0.6 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lyndon B. Johnson (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.