Near Farmersville in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Slifers Presbyterian Church
Slifers Presbyterian Church is on land deeded to the local faith community by Philip and Elizabeth Slifer on December 2, 1816. Rev. Thomas Winters of the German Reformed Church and Rev. John C. Dill of the Evangelical Lutheran Church ministered to people of German descent who settled in the area. During the "cold plague" (a malaria-like malady) of 1819, they ministered to the sick and grieving, renewing the faith of many. The community pooled their limited resources and began building their first log church in 1819. It was completed in 1825 and expanded later that year as the congregations grew. They erected their first brick church in 1858 for a cost of $500. Pastors conducted services for both Lutheran and Reformed congregations in German.
Architect William Blum of Dayton and local builder Charles Routzahn erected the present church in 1896. The combined congregations celebrated the 100th anniversary of Slifers on September 25, 1919. Many attended and enjoyed dinner on the church’s front lawn. At the time of the centennial, Rev. E.D. Ewing was the Reformed minister and Rev. V.B. Christy, who
Erected 2019 by Slifers Presbyterian Church and the Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 32- 57.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 39° 41.997′ N, 84° 23.73′ W. Marker is near Farmersville, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Clayton Road and Chicken Bristle Road, on the left when traveling north on South Clayton Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2999 S Clayton Road, Farmersville OH 45325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Farmersville Fire Department Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Charles F. Shimp (approx. 3 miles away); Dayton Western Turnpike Milestone Farmersville War Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Winter Zellar (Zero) Swartsel (approx. 3.3 miles away); Germantown Dam (approx. 4.3 miles away); Germantown (approx. 5 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmersville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 23, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.