The Salmagundi Club
Landmarks of New York
The Salmagundi Club, originating in 1871 as a sketch class in Jonathan Scott Hartley’s studio, purchased this mid-Nineteenth Century brownstone house in 1917 as its first permanent home. It was cited in 1957 for its architectural distinction by the Society of Architectural Historians and the Municipal Art Society.
Plaque erected 1958 by
The New York Community Trust
Erected 1958 by The New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 44.061′ N, 73° 59.675′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Fifth Avenue near East 12th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47 Fifth Avenue, New York NY 10003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Beatrix Farrand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martha Graham (1894-1991) (about 300 feet away); Church of the Ascension (about 400 feet away); Winfield Scott House
Regarding The Salmagundi Club. The building is listed in the "AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to New York City, Fifth Edition".
More. Search the internet for The Salmagundi Club.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.