Farmers Branch in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pioneers of Mustang Branch
In 1841 Thomas Keenan built a cabin on the creek, and within a few years a number of settlers had come to the area, attracted by its fertile soil and available water supply. Their community came to be known as Farmers Branch. A blacksmith shop and gristmill were begun in 1845 by the Rev. William Bowles, a Baptist minister. The same year I.B. Webb, another early settler, donated land for a church and school. Webb also served as first postmaster when the Farmers Branch post office was established in 1848. By the end of the decade cotton and wheat had become very productive crops on area farms.
The name for this stream later became commonly known as Farmers Branch. The pioneers who first settled near the tributary left a rich heritage. Today the city of Farmers Branch is a major Dallas County
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6820.)
Location. 32° 55.45′ N, 96° 52.039′ W. Marker is in Farmers Branch, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Valley View Lane and Belfield Drive, in the median on Valley View Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas TX 75234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hockaday School (approx. 2½ miles away); Addison State Bank (approx. 3.3 miles away); Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Frankford (approx. 5.1 miles away); California Crossing (approx. 5.3 miles away); Texas’ First Airmail and Passenger Service (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Pioneers of Mustang Branch.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2019, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.