Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Newburgh Mill

and the Power of the Rouge

 
 
Newburgh Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 24, 2019
1. Newburgh Mill Marker
Inscription.  
The Newburgh Mill factory was built on the site of an earlier mill,
like other Ford "Village Industries." Bovee Cider Mill used to operate here along the Middle Rouge River, within the thriving village of Newburgh. In 1934, Newburgh Lake was created by construction of the dam, and in 1935 Newburgh Mill began to use hydroelectric power to produce drills for Ford plants around the world. Local farmers were hired as workers in the plant, switching to production of parts for Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines during World War II.

You Auto Know
A small steam engine which was used to supplement the 35 horsepower generator at Newburgh was shown in the Ford Exhibit at the 1931 Chicago World's Fair.
 
Erected by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area marker series.
 
Location. 42° 22.049′ N, 83° 24.707′ W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection
Left image image. Click for full size.
Photo from the collection of The Henry Ford.
2. Left image
Newburgh Mill was the last of Ford's Village Industries to be built along the Middle Rouge River. Many of the local farmers helped build the plant and also became the first plant employees.
of Edward N. Hines Drive and Newburgh Road, on the left when traveling west on Edward N. Hines Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37401 Edward N Hines Drive, Livonia MI 48150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newburg Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Newburgh Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center (approx. 1.6 miles away); Chief Tonquish Burial Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); Roadside Development (approx. 1.9 miles away); "Learning by Doing" (approx. 2.3 miles away); Gunsolly Carding Mill (approx. 2.3 miles away); Nankin Millers House (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
 
Also see . . .  Newburgh Mill Site: Industrial Usage Since 1870. A very short history of the Newburgh Mill site, including additional photos (including a couple of the inside) and aerial photos from 1949 to 2018. (Submitted on July 25, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesWar, World II
 
Center image image. Click for full size.
Photo from the collection of The Henry Ford.
3. Center image
Ford liked to showcase his hydroelectric generators at his plants by enclosing them in glass windows.
Right image image. Click for full size.
Photo from the collection of The Henry Ford., July 24, 2019
4. Right image
Newburgh dam was built in 1934 in a unique joint effort between Ford Motor Company, the Wayne County Road Commission and te New Deal P.W.A. Program.
Newburgh Mill and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 24, 2019
5. Newburgh Mill and Marker
View from the north. Marker is to the right of the orange van.
Newburgh Mill image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, July 24, 2019
6. Newburgh Mill
View from the east.
 

More. Search the internet for Newburgh Mill.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 120 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 25, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement